Digital Signatures are generally issued by Root CA, and many times when you enter Digital Signature in a PDF File, you get the error like “Signature not verified” or ‘Validity Unknown.” The reason behind this error might be that your system does not verify that Digital Signature as it was created from a self-signed certification on another system. It has nothing to do with your PDF editor, and if you are facing a similar issue, learn how to validate Digital Signature in PDF file here.
Step by Step Guide of “How to Validate Digital Signature In PDF file”:
- Firstly, Open the PDF in PDF reader/PDF Converter Professional.
- Left Click on the Digital Signature Field, and from the options appear, click on “Verify Signature.”
- Then click on “Properties” and choose “Verify Identity” option.
- Add “Contact information for certificate owner”
- Click “Add to List” and then “Close.”
- Click “Verify/Validate Signature”
- Now the “Validity Status” will show “Signature is valid.”
- “Close” it, and now Digital Signature will display a checkmark.
- Your Signature is valid and should show “Signature Valid.”
Other Digital Signature Validation Settings:
There are some other reasons as well due to which Digital Signature Validation can get failed. Some of these reasons are:
1) Poor or No Internet Connection
2) Your Adobe’s Proxy Settings are disturbed/not set.
3) CRL/OCSP revocation information is not available or cannot be downloaded.
How to Validate Digital Signature in PDF File in such situations?
In the situations mentioned above, no matter your digital Signature is trusted and valid, Adobe will still consider it as “Signature Not Valid.” The reason behind it is Adobe won’t be able to retrieve revocation information and thus consider the digital Signature is invalid.
To Validate Digital Signature in PF File/Adobe in such situations, follow these steps:
- Go to the “Edit Menu” of Adobe/PDF Reader
- In “Preferences Option,” click on the “Security tab.”
- Click on “Advance Preferences Button” and choose the ‘Verification Tab.”
- Follow the steps, as shown in the picture:
- Save the Settings.
- After doing this, Adobe will be able to retrieve revocation details and consider your Digital Signature Valid.
I hope all these steps help you to Validate Digital Signature in PDF File. Before validating Digital Signature, it is necessary to find the real cause/error behind it as only then can you be able to resolve it. In case you won’t be able to validate digital Signature from these steps, that means Your PDF Reader might facing some other issue due to which it is not considering your digital Signature valid. In such a situation, the steps mentioned above won’t help you, and you can share the error with us in the comments so that we can provide you with the best possible solution. Keep learning, Keep Sharing!
Also Read: Enable Gzip Compression in WordPress