Learning things & features on Mac is quite different & challenging than on windows, and if you are an owner of a new MacBook, you won’t deny this fact. MacBook is classy and impressive, but you have to invest some time initially to understand its features. One such feature which always becomes challenging for new mac users is how to screenshot on mac.
Screenshots are an essential part of our official work as we need them to save/record something or to send another person to show something. So, if you are also struggling in taking a screenshot on your new Macbook, here is the complete guide on How to take the screenshot on Mac with or without a keyboard.
So, let’s talk about the most used method of taking a screenshot on Mac and, i.e. with the keyboard.
Recommended: 5 Best Free Mac Data Recovery Software
How to Screenshot on Mac with a Keyboard?
Since there is no PrintScreen button in Mac, you have to use a few different commands to take a screenshot on Mac with a keyboard. In the latest macOS Mojave version, the process is slightly different and easier than the previous and old versions of Mac. That is why it will be better to divide the process into two parts:
- Guide to Screenshot on Pre-Mojave Mac with a keyboard
- Guide to Screenshot on Post-Mojave Mac with a keyboard
Guide to Screenshot on Pre-Mojave Mac with a keyboard:
If you are still using the old version of Mac and haven’t updated it to Mojave, you have to use these Pre-Mojave Mac Screenshot commands:
- Command ⌘ + Shift + 3
This Pre-Mojave Mac Screenshot command allows you to take the screenshot of the entire screen of Mac at once. In the case of multiple screens, this command will take a screenshot of every screen you are using simultaneously.
- Command ⌘ + Shift + 4
This Pre-Mojave Mac Screenshot command allows you to take the screenshot of a particular area of a screen on mac OS. To select the area, you have to press the “Space” button along with this command, and it will screenshot the desired section of your screen on Mac.
Guide to Screenshot on Post-Mojave Mac with a keyboard:
In the latest version of Mac, updated with Mojave, screenshot command is little different. The Post-Mojave mac allows you to take different kinds of screenshots using one command only, and here is that all-in-one mac screenshot command:
- Command ⌘ + Shift + 5
This command in Post-Mojave Mac allows you to take a screenshot of:
- Entire Screen
- Particular Area of a screen
- Particular Window
- Record Entire Screen
- Record a Particular Part of a screen
After taking a screenshot on Mac, you can control where to save the screenshot or video recording of the screen using the menu option on the right-hand side.
So, these are the ways to take a screenshot on Mac with a keyboard. Now, let’s explore another way “How to screenshot on Mac without a Keyboard?”
How to screenshot on Mac without a keyboard?
To take a screenshot on Mac without a keyboard, you have to use either Utility Feature of Apple known as Grab or use third-party apps which we will recommend you.
The Grab utility feature on Mac allows you to take a screenshot of a complete screen or a particular area or to switch over the screens.
First, let’s learn how you can take a screenshot using Utility feature “Grab” on Mac:
- Go to applications on your Mac and select Utility. Under utility, click on Grab.
- Under the main menu of Grab, click on the Tab, Capture and then selection.
- Now choose the area of which you want to take a screenshot.
- After selecting the area, select capture and window. It will allow you to select a particular window.
- In case if you want to take a timed screenshot, then use the “Timed Screen” option under the “Capture” section of the Grab.
- Now you have 10 seconds to adjust your screen area otherwise it will capture the whole area.
- After capturing the screenshot (normal or timed), you can change the filename, select its format and location where you want it to save.
Guide to Take Screenshot on Mac using Third-Party Apps:
Apart from Grab feature, many free third-party apps allow you to take a screenshot on Mac and edit it in a cool way. Let’s see which are some best third-party apps to take a screenshot on mac OS.
List of some best third-party apps to take a screenshot on mac OS:
Steps to take a screenshot on Mac using third-party apps:
- First, choose any of the apps mentioned above and download it from the app store.
- Now open the app and under the menu, click on the capture section and then click on the selection.
- Select the particular part or entire window to take a screenshot.
- If you are using an app like CleanshotX, you can use a timer to record screen as a video.
- After capturing, you can change the file name and share it directly on the cloud.
- If you want, you can edit the screenshots using filters and pen tool etc. to write something.
Wrapping It Up!
So, these are the different ways to take a screenshot on Mac with or without a keyboard. If you or any of known struggling with the same query of How to screenshot on Mac, then you must read/share this article with them. Also, if you have any doubts or questions regarding the process of taking a screenshot on Macbook or Windows, please write to us in comments. Keep learning!